Super League of Malawi (Sulom) has rejected requests by Kamuzu Barracks (KB) and Mzuni FC to cancel their upcoming fixtures, forcing the Malawi Defence Force (MDF) outfit to declare it will boycott the match.
KB asked Sulom to reschedule their match against Mzuni at Civo Stadium in Lilongwe this Sunday, pointing out that most of their players and technical team members have been assigned to secure polling centres during Tuesday’s Tripartite Elections.
In a letter dated, May 13 2019, the MDF outfit writes: “We are requesting your good office to reschedule our game against Mzuni FC to another date bearing in mind that some of our players will be deployed in polling centres on Sunday May 29 2019.”
The letter is signed by KB general secretary (GS) Steve Kakuza and is addressed to the Sulom GS and copied to the body’s president as well as legal adviser and Football Association of Malawi (FAM).
However, Sulom, in a response dated May 15 2019, rejected the request.
“Following the fixtures and logistics committee meeting of May 14 2019, it has been resolved that due to the tight schedule and in line with the rules and regulations, the game should not be rescheduled,” the letter, which The Nation has seen, reads.
Sulom has since urged KB “to hold your breath and fulfil the fixture”.
But in an interview yesterday, Kakuka vowed that his team will not take part in the match.
“The whole of our technical panel as well as all players that are serving soldiers and have been assigned to provide security in various parts of the country.
“We are not playing the game. We better give three points to Mzuni,” Kakuza said.
He wondered why Sulom did not approve their request despite: “knowing beforehand that the soldiers are always assigned to guard polling centres during elections”.
On its part, Mzuni said they asked Sulom to consider handing them home fixtures as they did not have funds to travel to Lilongwe to face Silver Strikers on Saturday and KB on Sunday.
“Sulom rejected our request to hand us home games because they said we delayed to request for the changes,” said Mzuni general secretary, Donnex Chilunga.
The Mzuzu-based side has, meanwhile, cast serious doubts over its ability to travel to the capital city for the matches.
“We were in Lilongwe for the Airtel Top 8 last week and it would be a financial burden to go back to Lilongwe as soon as this. We are not sure if we will travel or not,” Chilunga added.
Meanwhile, Sulom GS Williams Banda warned that any team that will not pitch up will lose the points.
“On KB’s request, we felt that they can fulfill the fixture and travel to their assignments later. We analysed their situation and reached a conclusion that this was manageable,” he said.
Banda said Mzuni “only complained by phone and we told them they are late with their request”.
He said: “Let me inform the clubs that whoever boycotts will lose the points because that’s what the rules stipulate,” he said.