The group of Blantyre-based concerned football fans has said it will hold demonstrations that include a march to Sanjika Palace next Wednesday, November 28, over governmentâ€™s failure to reopen Kamuzu Stadium.
The groupâ€™s chairperson, Mabvuto Chibambo, said this when they visited Nation Publications Limited offices.
Chibambo said they have decided to hold demonstrations having exhausted all avenues, including petitioning President Joyce Banda on the issue.
â€œWe wrote a letter to the State President a week ago and up to now, we have not received any response. In view of that, we have agreed to have a peaceful march and demonstrations in Blantyre on the said date,â€ said Chibambo.
He also said of major concern is Youth and Sports Minister Enoch Chihanaâ€™s failure to live to his promise to reopen the stadium for domestic games.
â€œWe felt cheated by the Minister of Youth and Sports. Unfortunately, the President has also not responded to our letter; hence; the move to have a peaceful march and demonstrations,â€ said Chibambo.
He claimed both Blantyre City Council and Southern Region Police headquarters are aware of their intended march.
However, Chibambo and his group said the demonstrations could be cancelled if government decides to reopen the stadium before next Wednesday.
He said the march will start from Kamuzu Stadium to Ndirande Township before going to Sanjika Palace where they will hold a vigil.
â€œWe will carry banners expressing our concerns,â€ said Chibambo who was accompanied by over 20 supporters.
Chihana told Parliament last week that he is not aware when the stadium will be reopened as governmentâ€™s priority is the safety of the fans. However, this was in contrast to what he told the concerned supporters last month, that the stadium would be reopened temporarily for local games.