Toyota Malawi Limited staff have vowed not to resume work until their management gives in to their demands of a 20 percent salary increment, among others.
In a telephone interview yesterday, the employees representative Martin Kapombeza said despite an engagement with management on Monday afternoon, the two sides have failed to reach an agreement.
He said: “We will only resume working once management meets our demands. So, the offices in Blantyre, Lilongwe and Mzuzu will remain closed.”
The employees started striking on Monday following a failed conciliation meeting on October 6 held at the regional labour office in Blantyre.
Besides the salary increment demand, the employees also want the company to remove expatriates whom they claim are doing work that Malawians can do.
But Kapombeza yesterday said management has not been forthcoming on the matter since February when the two sides started engaging; hence, leaving the employees with no choice but to go on strike.
He said at their meeting with management on Monday, the two sides failed to agree because management wanted to give employees a 10 percent increment.
He said the 10 percent was arrived at after management had earlier the same day proposed six percent which was also declined.
Kapombeza has since said the employees will return to work once all their demands are met. He, however, said they remain open to further negotiations.
On Tuesday, Toyota Malawi Limited managing director Kennedy Kabaghe issued a statement saying the strike may lead the company to be unable to sustain operations, thereby jeopardising its survival plan during the Covid-19 pandemic.
However, he said the company’s commitment remains to sustain the operations and current level of staffing.
Toyota Malawi Limited is a franchise holder for Toyota vehicles and Hino trucks in the country with a market share of over 40 percent.