Civo United have lost a case in which former midfielder Patrick Thupi sued the team for failure to pay his outstanding K500 000 signing-on balance.
In a default judgement, the Industrial Relations Court (IRC) found the Office of President and Cabinet sponsored side liable.
The judgement issued by the court in Blantyre reads: “No notice of intention to defend or no defence having been given by the respondent herein, it is adjudged that the respondent do pay the outstanding balance.”
The court further says Civo will pay additional costs to be assessed by the court on a date to be announced.”
According to court documents, the midfielder signed a year-long contract in 2018. He was laid off last year having been paid K250 000 of the K750 000 signing on fee.
The court’s statement of claim on March 2, 2020, reads: “Respondent [Civo] promised to pay the outstanding balance once funding is ready, but from year 2018 nothing has been done and despite several reminders, respondents had not yet paid.”
Civo general secretary Ronald Chiwaula said they did not receive any court claims; hence, their failure to defend the case.
“We didn’t see the claim and we haven’t received the default judgment you are talking about. I will make a personal effort to contact the courts and find out what is happening,” he said yesterday.
In an interview, Thupi said justice has been done.
“I am pleased that finally justice has been served. It has been a long wait, but worth it,” he said.