Hip-hop artist Martse, real name Martin Nkhata, is receiving medical treatment at Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital in Blantyre after sustaining serious burn wounds in a fire accident that happened at a house he was sleeping in on Friday night in Monkey-Bay.
In a interview, Jerome Nkhata, Martse’s older brother, said Martse was enjoying a few days of holiday with some friends in Monkey Bay when the accident happened.
“The police are still investigating as details of what actually happened are still sketchy,” he said.
Nkhata said after the accident, Martse’s friends took him to Monkey Bay health Centre where he was referred to Mangochi District Hospital where he was further referred to Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital.
“We arrived at Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital on Saturday where the doctors quickly dressed the wounds. The doctors say he has 48.5 percent burns on his body,” said Martse’s brother.
He, thanked the doctors at Monkey Bay Health Centre in Mangochi at and Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital for their swift help.
“Martse can now talk and is able to recognise people. He is in good hands at the Intensive Care Unit,” Nkhata said.
News of the rapper’s fire accident broke on Saturday with various unconfirmed reports.
Several artists have since taken to social media to wish Martse a quick recovery.
Martse is one of the country’s most popular rappers with songs such as Adidas, Mwano, Mkatimo and Mwapindulanji, among others.